2021 Virtual Contest Expectations
- The judging will take place entirely online for the virtual contest and is closed to the public.
- In order to protect student privacy there will not be interviews for the 2021 contest. The interviews do not and have never counted towards a student's project evaluation.
- We will announce the top 3 & alternate winners in each category. Projects will be available to view after the contest on the Showcase.
For full rules, see the 2021 National History Day Rule Book
Please note that there are updated rules for the overall contest and for the different categories.
National History Day in Wisconsin
UW-Madison is the home of the Madison Regional and welcomes students from Adams County all the way down to Rock County-- and others in between! Looking forward to another great in person contest at the Pyle Center in 2022. See you there!
Virtual Contest Year
Sorry we are not able to see you in person this year. Thank you for all your hard work this year and we are looking forward to seeing you next year in person!
Judge Evaluation Criteria
- 80% — Historical Quality
- Historical Argument
- Shows wide research
- Primary sources used
- Placed in historical context
- Multiple Perspectives
- Historical Accuracy
- Interpret and analyze
- Significance in History
- Strong thesis
- Student Voice throughout
- 20% — Clarity of Presentation
- Use of visual images
- Process paper and annotated bibliography clearly organized
There will be no interviews during the 2021 virtual contest due to student privacy. The interview does not and has never counted towards a student's evaluation. The project stands alone.